Sunday 15 May 2016

Coming to terms with a hangover in a forest. Parent drinking.

For those who don't know me, I don't really 'do' woods. I am not in my happy place there. I like the outdoors - the moors, the seaside, parks, other outside locations. But forests - there are tripping hazards everywhere, usually muddy, cold places. They also usually harbour forest people, not literally people who dwell in the leafy glades, but those folk who enjoy rambling about and getting down with nature. They also probably enjoy to camp in said woods - again this is an activity that repells me. So why would going there with a mildly bad hangover not be a good idea!

Firstly we need to go back as to why I am hungover, two good friends came over for a sleepover. An actual adult sleepover. Basically a poor mask of an excuse to get a bit pissed. As in true binge drinker style I go immediately into mixing my drinks, I mean they were all drinks that I liked so that was a good thing. We didn't progress onto shots of a cheeky bottle of peach schnapps that had been bought earlier, which even just this morning disappointed me. It's almost as now we have children, I have also regressed as a human being to being a teenager. The exciting prospect of drinking in larger amounts than one or two glasses is too exciting. My friend offered some great parent drinking which is sadly very true, good advice - 'start early, finish early'. The inference also was on quantity, but to finish in time that we could get a decent amount of sleep in before being rudely awoken by our morning sleep thieves. That awful moment of reality of a fully fledged hangover at 6.00 am.

Anyway, back to the forest....

The boys showed a good amount of zeal when we arrived, running and screeching into the enclosure as you'd imagine may befit legoland more. A few folk turned and looked as to what the terrible accident may have been to make young boys scream so, I just don't even bother looking mildly apologetic anymore. Yes, these are my children, and yes, they this excited about being in this woodland area! Once on the main pathway, they pointed out green things upon green things, and trees, and asked a constant source of questions. I find the best thing to do in a situation of pretty much zero knowledge is to make up the answers. Unfortunately i seem to be programmed to scare my children, 'mummy, let's go down that track' (for pretty much no reason, I don't like the look of said track and don't want to go) I respond with a negatory, which is obviously questioned. My retort, well we can't go down there as there may be a monster. Hector is getting a bit wise to my usual answers, so he gingerly starts off away from my chosen safe path, I go for a guaranteed deal breaker - 'and also there may be mud down there, that your shoes will get stuck in.....and you'll get dirty!!' Yep, back on MY path!

There were a few hairy moments, fear of walking on a fallen tree trunk, fear of spiders (Rufus), fear of swing (also a Rufus - to be fair it was fairly ropey), fear of sitting in a daisy strewn pasture (Evelyn), but on the whole as a family we embraced the wander or wonder of the morning. We stopped for a picnic, to be honest I desperately needed bread and other carbs to satisfy and quell my hangover.  It was here that I witnessed my friend rip an apple in half with his bare hands! An amazing feat, one which I did try and copy but failed dismally (I obviously blamed the apple!)

All in all a successful day - as in, we have now left the woods and g is cooking a Sunday roast!




No comments:

Post a Comment