Thursday 12 May 2016

Sole parental duties

So, the inevitable happened today. First day back as responsible lone parental and I go off the rails! 

'So boys, shall we go to a butterfly park today? It looks great! It has a cafe which I am sure will have nice cake. Also a craft world?' (slightly more dubious that this was their 'thing') 

The response was overwhelming a positive one. 

I learned a few things today....the first being that butterfly world is shit, a few ropey butterflies munching on a stinking piece of banana did not impress (it impressed Hector but I'm overlooking that). The second and rather more amusing fact was that Rufus does NOT like butterflies. He DOES however, like scones (these were NOT the delicious cakes I imagined may have been in the cafe - in fact the cafe was NOT the cafe I expected to have been there!) 

This brings me onto the cafe itself, where when I said I didn't need a receipt the lady (loosely phrased) said no I must give it to you....they are watching....(I look over my shoulder at the old chap eating his jacket potato - did she mean him? No?) She then backs up my look of bewilderment with the final statement....'they are filming this'. 

We left fairly soon afterwards. 

So yes once we got out with our lives (even the boys didn't fancy 'bonkers' the indoor soft play there!) we went to Avebury. This was awesome! Much like their previous Stonehenge experience, the boys embraced this National Trust ancient attraction with real zeal and screeching as really would befit Alton Towers. It was great, with mudslide falling over, Rufus being taken down by some impressive rugby tackles, and an inappropriate game of hide and seek (I didn't get the game start memo - and just thought hector had gone missing). Amusingly in the cafe there (with delicious Victoria sponge and flapjack - in your face shit butterfly world cafe!) I was complimented on how well behaved they all were. Anyway we are home, thank god! I like Wiltshire...it isn't the north but it is ok! 

No comments:

Post a Comment